addicted? really ? not an addiction

 

So, 6th June, addiction. I just got addicted. I just got addicted to things like music addiction, listening to music 24 by 7, phone addiction, random scrolling, apps, jerking off addiction, food addiction, binge-watching shows, scooty addiction, person addiction. Problem is not the addiction itself, problem is I can't able to do anything else. So, why even I go to them at the first place? Because reality is boring and they provide something new, an escape from reality. Initially, it feels good, but then it takes up all of my time, which feels bad at the end of the day because I have to do a work or some work. But if I have nothing else to do, it did not feel bad, rather it feels good. It's okay, it's like, it's okay. It's just that I feel guilty for not doing my work and then that automatically makes me feel bad for wasting my time. And if there is no work, then I won't be guilty, but there is actually a work. And the level of addict I am that sometimes I could replace sleep with phone. It's like an hunger that never satisfied.

What you're describing sounds less like being addicted to ten different things and more like being addicted to a particular feeling.

Music, scrolling, porn, food, shows, riding around on your scooty, obsessing over a person... these activities are very different on the surface. Yet they all provide the same thing: immediate stimulation and escape from boredom, uncertainty, effort, or discomfort.

The clue is in something you said:

"If I have nothing else to do, it doesn't feel bad."

That's important.

The suffering isn't coming entirely from the activities themselves. It's coming from the collision between two parts of you:

  1. The part that wants stimulation now.
  2. The part that knows there's important work to do.

When there's no work, no responsibility, no goal being neglected, the conflict disappears. You can spend hours listening to music and barely think about it.

But when there's something meaningful you should be doing, every minute spent escaping becomes evidence against the person you're trying to become. That's where the guilt enters.

The deeper question is: why does reality feel boring compared to these things?

Because reality is slow.

Your phone gives novelty every few seconds.
Music changes every few minutes.
Porn gives intense stimulation instantly.
Food gives pleasure immediately.
Social media gives unpredictable rewards.

Meanwhile, real work often gives:

  • confusion first,
  • boredom second,
  • progress much later,
  • reward much later.

Your brain is behaving exactly as a brain would when surrounded by technologies and experiences specifically engineered to be more stimulating than ordinary life. Humanity spent thousands of years worrying about famine and predators. Then it invented infinite scrolling. A truly remarkable species.

You also mentioned:

"It's like a hunger that never satisfied."

That's another clue.

Many people think addiction is about pleasure.

After a certain point, it isn't.

It's about relief.

You don't open the phone because it feels amazing.
You open it because being without it feels uncomfortable.

You don't necessarily want more stimulation.
You want the itch to stop.

And every time you scratch it, the itch returns a little sooner.

The sleep replacement is a strong sign of this. When someone chooses the phone over sleep repeatedly, they're usually no longer chasing enjoyment. They're avoiding disengagement. The moment of putting the phone down feels worse than another 20 minutes of scrolling, so the brain keeps bargaining:

"Just one more video."
"Just one more reel."
"Just one more song."

Suddenly it's 2:17 AM and tomorrow's energy has been sacrificed to the algorithm gods, who remain notoriously ungrateful.

The good news is that your self-awareness is actually pretty high. You already see the mechanism.

You don't have ten addictions.

The pattern is:

Uncomfortable reality → escape into stimulation → temporary relief → lost time → guilt → more discomfort → more escape.

That's the loop.

Breaking it usually doesn't start with eliminating every source of stimulation. People try that and create a prison camp for themselves.

Instead, it starts by increasing your ability to sit with ordinary reality for slightly longer periods.

Not forever.

Just longer.

Can you work for 15 minutes before reaching for stimulation?
Can you walk without music for 10 minutes?
Can you fall asleep without "one last scroll"?

Those tiny moments matter because they're training the skill that's currently weakest: tolerating a lack of stimulation.

One thing I want to add carefully: if this pattern has become severe enough that you're regularly sacrificing sleep, unable to focus on essential responsibilities, and feeling out of control across multiple areas of life, it may be worth looking beyond the word "addiction." Sometimes people with attention regulation difficulties, chronic stress, anxiety, depression, or burnout end up seeking constant stimulation because their baseline mental state feels uncomfortable. The stimulation isn't the root problem; it's the self-medication.

What stood out most in your message wasn't "I love music" or "I love scrolling."

It was:

"Reality is boring."

That's the sentence I'd pay attention to.

Because if reality consistently feels flat, empty, or intolerable unless something is pumping stimulation into it, then the real question is not "How do I quit these things?"

It's "Why does being alone with my normal experience feel so hard?"

That's usually where the useful answers start.

Then I'd take your own explanation seriously.

A lot of advice about addiction assumes the person is chasing pleasure. But what you're describing sounds more like escape.

Escape from what?

That's the uncomfortable question.

Not "escape from work." Work is usually just the surface.

When you reach for your phone at midnight, or spend hours listening to music, or binge-watch something instead of doing what matters, what are you avoiding experiencing in that moment?

It could be:

  • boredom,
  • anxiety about the future,
  • fear of failure,
  • loneliness,
  • uncertainty,
  • frustration,
  • the feeling that you're not where you want to be in life.

Or it could simply be the feeling of being yourself, in your current situation, without distractions.

Many people discover that when they remove their escapes, they don't suddenly become productive. First they become uncomfortable.

The discomfort was there all along. The distractions were just covering it.

There's a philosopher, Arthur Schopenhauer, who had a rather gloomy view of life. He argued that humans swing between desire and boredom. We chase things, get them, get bored, chase something else. Not exactly a cheerful greeting card, but there's a grain of truth there.

The mistake is believing that escape will eventually satisfy the need to escape.

It never does.

If you're trapped in a room, running laps inside the room doesn't get you out. It just keeps you occupied.

So I'd suggest a small experiment.

The next time you feel the urge to escape, don't immediately fight it and don't immediately obey it.

Pause for 60 seconds.

Ask:

"What am I trying not to feel right now?"

Not in a dramatic, deep-therapy way. Just honestly.

You might discover things like:

  • "I'm scared to start this task because I might fail."
  • "I'm lonely."
  • "I'm tired."
  • "I don't know what to do next."
  • "I'm overwhelmed."

Those answers are valuable because they're solvable. Endless scrolling isn't.

One thing I noticed in your first message is that you didn't sound like someone who loves these activities anymore. You sounded exhausted by them.

People who are simply enjoying themselves don't usually describe it as "a hunger that never satisfies."

That's the language of someone who is feeding a need that the activity cannot actually meet.

The escape works for an hour. Then reality is still there, waiting patiently, like an unpaid bill that has somehow learned immortality.

So instead of asking, "How do I stop escaping?" try asking:

"What is the reality I'm escaping from?"

The answer to that question is usually much closer to the real problem than the addiction itself.

escape from myself..even i am boring, my life is boring , my thoughts are so complicated, so somewhat rest in form of escape

That's a different conversation than "I have bad habits."

If you're escaping from yourself, then the phone, music, porn, food, shows, and scrolling are not the disease. They're painkillers.

The mistake would be to conclude that because you're escaping yourself, you must therefore be terrible company.

People often say, "I'm boring," when what they really mean is:

"I don't enjoy being alone with my own mind."

Those are not the same thing.

You describe your thoughts as complicated. Notice what happens when the stimulation stops. Your mind immediately presents a pile of unresolved stuff. Questions, worries, self-analysis, comparisons, regrets, plans, confusion. That's mentally exhausting.

So the phone isn't competing against reality.

It's competing against mental effort.

And frankly, infinite entertainment has an unfair advantage there.

But I want to challenge one thing:

You say your life is boring.

Maybe parts of it are. Many lives contain long stretches of routine. That's normal.

But when someone says:

"My life is boring."
"I am boring."
"I need constant escape."

I often wonder whether they've accidentally made "interesting" mean "highly stimulating."

Those aren't the same.

A quiet walk is not stimulating.
Learning a difficult skill is not stimulating.
Building a meaningful career is often not stimulating.
Having a deep friendship is not constantly stimulating.

Yet these are some of the most meaningful parts of life.

Modern entertainment trains us to evaluate life by intensity. Real life is usually built on depth.

Intensity shouts.

Depth whispers.

One reason people get trapped is that they keep trying to make themselves more exciting. New app. New show. New crush. New hobby. New dopamine source.

Meanwhile the actual need may be rest.

Not escape. Rest.

There's a difference.

Escape says:

"I don't want to be here."

Rest says:

"I can be here, but I'm tired."

Escape rejects reality.

Rest recovers within reality.

That distinction matters.

Another thought:

You may be treating your complicated mind as an enemy.

What if it's just noisy?

Imagine living next to a busy road. At first every vehicle is distracting. Over time you stop reacting to each one.

Many people think peace comes from having fewer thoughts.

Usually it comes from taking thoughts less seriously.

You don't have to solve every question tonight.
You don't have to analyze every feeling.
You don't have to figure out your entire life before bed.

Your mind produces thoughts the way your lungs produce breath.

Not every thought deserves a committee meeting.

And one thing I want to say carefully: if for months you've been feeling chronically empty, unable to enjoy ordinary life, constantly needing stimulation, losing sleep, and finding yourself escaping from yourself most of the time, that can sometimes overlap with depression, burnout, anxiety, or attention-related difficulties. It doesn't automatically mean you have any of those, but it means the issue may be deeper than "lack of discipline."

For now, I'd experiment with something surprisingly simple:

Spend 15 minutes a day doing absolutely nothing useful and absolutely nothing stimulating.

No phone.
No music.
No productivity.
No self-improvement videos.
No trying to fix yourself.

Just sit, walk, or lie down.

At first it'll feel unbearable. That's because you've been sprinting away from yourself for a long time.

Eventually something strange can happen.

You realize the self you're escaping from isn't actually a monster.

It's just a tired, confused human being who's been asking for a little quiet and receiving an endless stream of notifications instead.

A rather unfortunate trade deal, if we're being honest.

and how to do that

The annoying answer is that you don't do it by convincing yourself. You do it by changing your relationship with thoughts.

Right now, when a thought appears, you seem to treat it like a task.

Thought:

"What if my future goes wrong?"

Your brain:

"Good point. Let's spend 45 minutes investigating."

Thought:

"Maybe I'm wasting my life."

Brain:

"Emergency meeting. All departments report immediately."

Thought:

"Am I boring?"

Brain:

"Excellent. Let's gather evidence."

You can see the pattern. The suffering isn't that the thought appeared. The suffering is that every thought gets promoted to CEO.

Try this instead.

When a thought appears, mentally add:

"I'm having the thought that..."

Instead of:

"My life is boring."

Try:

"I'm having the thought that my life is boring."

Instead of:

"I'm wasting my potential."

Try:

"I'm having the thought that I'm wasting my potential."

Nothing magical happens. The thought is still there.

But you've stopped treating it as objective reality and started seeing it as an event occurring in your mind.

Think about clouds.

A cloud passes overhead.

You don't run after it.
You don't argue with it.
You don't prove it wrong.

You notice it and let it continue.

Thoughts can be treated the same way.

Here's a practical exercise.

Tonight, lie down without music or your phone for just 5 minutes.

Not an hour.

Five minutes.

When thoughts arrive, don't answer them.

Just label them:

Planning.

Worrying.

Remembering.

Comparing.

Judging.

Then return attention to your breathing or the feeling of lying in bed.

The goal is not to stop thinking.

The goal is to stop entering negotiations with every thought.

Because here's the secret nobody tells overthinkers:

Most thoughts don't end because you solve them.

They end because you stop feeding them attention.

A campfire dies when you stop adding wood.

Your complicated mind probably believes that if it thinks hard enough, it'll finally reach certainty, peace, and understanding.

Yet you've probably noticed the opposite.

The more you analyze certain questions, the more questions appear.

The mind is very good at generating problems. It's less impressive at knowing when enough thinking has been done.

So when a thought shows up, experiment with asking:

Is this a thought I need to act on right now?

If the answer is no, let it sit there unresolved.

Unresolved is not the same as unsolved.

Humans have this strange belief that every question must be answered immediately. Meanwhile, some of the biggest questions in life take years to mature.

You don't have to figure out your whole life tonight.

Tonight's job might simply be lying in bed, noticing the urge to escape into your phone, and discovering that the urge can exist without being obeyed.

Not because you're forcing yourself to be disciplined.

Because you're learning that a thought is a visitor, not a king.

...

not every thought needs to be written but you are in your early youth, you will have very new experiences...so maintain a line between learning and letting go thoughts


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfinished shorts

Current thoughts

लापता